I know you would have thrown away one or two things because it is old or it looks unattractive. Or you’ve encouraged your friends or those who stay close to you to always discard things because you have to make your home clean and safe.
You think that old stuff you want to discard isn't useful? How would you feel when your old vegetable rack is being created into a herb garden around your home? I bet you would love it and appreciate the beauty that comes from “the old vegetable rack”.
Well, the best way to turn old and unwanted items in your home into a lovely and amazing decoration is through Upcycling projects.
Here's how to upcycle a vegetable rack (that was almost thrown out) into a lovely little vertical garden — ideal for your kitchen courtyard or a small patio where there's a shortage of space.
It's much easier to throw away things than to build them, so for your vegetable rack upcycling project here is what you need;
• Old three-tiered wire vegetable rack
• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in duck-egg blue
• 80-grit sandpaper for getting rid of rust
• Paintbrush to clean out dirt and roughness
• Landscaping cloth
• Moss (soaked in a bucket of water)
• Herbs and lettuce seeds or seedlings
• Potting soil
There are specific processes that have to be followed in turning a vegetable rack into a vertical herb garden and should be done systematically in order to achieve that which is unique.
1. You should sand the vegetable rack lightly in order to get a smooth surface instead of any rust or roughness.
2. You should sash the rack with soapy water and leave to dry.
3. You should paint the tray with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (there is no need for primer). Alternatively, you could use water-based enamel. To cover the mesh completely, two to three light coats should be sufficient to do that.
4. You should soak the moss in a bucket of water, after that, and then line each tray with the wet moss.
5. You should cut the landscaping cloth by using the scissors so that each piece of cloth fits snugly into each tray. Fill the lined trays with the potting soil.
6. You should plant the herbs and lettuce. You also water them and then leave to settle.
An Upcycling project has a lot of advantages in which one of it is for the circular economy. With Upcycling projects we are made to see and believe that nothing is a waste not even the least thing you can ever imagine as it has been made that an old vegetable rack is turned into an attractive decoration of a herb garden you will always want to see in your home. It also serves the purpose of making the environment clean and free of waste which could have been an unhealthy and insane thing in your home.